Storms that stalled over central Indiana on August 13 and 14 drove the White River past marks that had held since 1913. The river crested just shy of 25 feet at Anderson and Noblesville on Friday, more than a foot above the record set that year [1]. WFAE reported the Anderson crest at a record 24.9 feet [3].

In Noblesville, Mayor Chris Jensen put numbers to the break. "We broke the 113-year-old record from 1913, which was originally 23.8 feet. We crested late last night, early this morning at 24.6 feet," he said, calling the previous 48 hours "unprecedented in this community" [2].

The death toll climbed through Saturday. WFAE reported at least three deaths as of Saturday afternoon, alongside more than 150,000 customers without power [3]. CBS News, updating at 8:31 p.m., reported at least five [1]. ABC News reported at least six, noting officials had confirmed five earlier in the day before the state Department of Homeland Security confirmed a sixth [2]. The figures are a running count, not a discrepancy: each reflects a different hour of the same Saturday.

Indianapolis fire crews worked the water directly. A department spokesperson, Rita Reith, put the rescues at 91 people and 45 pets as of early afternoon [1]; ABC reported the same 91 residents and 45 pets across 50 water rescues [2]. Authorities estimated about 400 people evacuated parts of northern Indianapolis on their own [1]. The Indianapolis mayor described "a flooding event that we have not seen in over 30 years" [2].

Gov. Mike Braun declared a statewide emergency and asked Washington for help. "I will do everything in my power to protect Hoosier lives and livelihoods as we respond to this historic severe weather," he said, requesting a presidential emergency declaration through FEMA [3]. In a separate statement he added, "My heart is with the families and loved ones of the five Hoosiers we have lost and every family whose life has been changed by these storms" [1].

The federal answer arrived Saturday. President Trump approved the governor's request for a presidential emergency declaration to free up to $5 million in federal resources [1]. That figure is the tell. A presidential emergency declaration under the Stafford Act is capped and is meant to fund emergency protective measures, the sandbags, pumps, and crews of an active disaster. It is a narrower instrument than a major-disaster declaration, the step that opens individual assistance for homeowners whose houses went under. Braun has requested the emergency declaration; the record does not yet show a major-disaster declaration or individual-assistance approval for Indiana's flooded households.

The rain was not finished. The National Weather Service warned of additional heavy rainfall across the Midwest through at least Sunday, with Indiana still seeking federal aid [3].