The Supreme Court's emergency docket now holds a question the Constitution was supposed to have settled: whether a president can demolish part of the White House and rebuild it without asking Congress. On August 13, Solicitor General D. John Sauer filed a stay application asking the justices to pause a lower-court injunction that had frozen above-ground work on a $400 million ballroom [1][3]. The National Trust for Historic Preservation filed its opposition on Tuesday, August 18, meeting the noon deadline Chief Justice Roberts had set [1][2]. No ruling had issued as of today.
The case, National Park Service v. National Trust for Historic Preservation, No. 26A203, reached the court on a two-week clock [3]. On Friday, August 7, a divided panel of the D.C. Circuit ruled 2 to 1 that construction could not proceed above ground without congressional approval, with Judges Millett and Garcia in the majority and Judge Rao dissenting [4]. The panel let underground work continue while it blocked the rest, and it issued a stay of its own ruling set to expire around August 21 [4]. That expiration is what sent the government to the justices.
The physical stakes are not abstract. The project spans about 90,000 square feet, roughly 8,400 square meters, and is about 65% complete after some 10 months of work [1]. The East Wing has already been demolished [1]. What the courts are being asked to referee is not a rendering or a proposal; it is a construction site where a third of the White House complex is already gone.
The government's argument deserves to be stated at its strongest before it is answered. Sauer told the court the work is 'vitally required by national security,' and the project includes an underground military facility the administration says the country needs [1]. That claim is not frivolous, and it is not even fully contested by the other side. The National Trust's own filing concedes that the injunction 'expressly allows (the administration) to continue building their underground military facility' [1]. The security rationale, whatever its merits, reaches the part of the project no court has stopped. It does not reach the ballroom.
On the ballroom, the record so far runs one direction. District Judge Richard Leon found that 'no statute comes close to giving the President the authority he claims' [4]. The D.C. Circuit panel was blunter still: 'Whether or not a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help' [4]. The National Trust frames the gap the government has to close in a single line, arguing the administration 'cannot identify any statute granting them express authority to destroy a third of the White House' [1].
The filing has drawn a crowd. On August 18, amicus briefs arrived from Members of Congress, from the Campaign Legal Center, and from the state of Indiana, each pressing the justices on the separation-of-powers stakes rather than on architecture [2]. When the appeals court first ruled that a ballroom of this scale needs congressional sign-off, Pixel Politics laid out the same separation-of-powers question now in front of the justices, and the intervening days have only tightened the clock. Their common thread is the one Judge Leon and the appeals panel already drew: the power to authorize and fund construction at the seat of government belongs to the legislature, and a national-security label does not transfer it to the executive.
What the Supreme Court decides in the coming days is narrow and enormous at once. Narrow, because a stay ruling settles only whether above-ground construction resumes while the case is litigated in full. Enormous, because the principle underneath is whether a president who commits $400 million and tears down a wing of the White House can keep building on the strength of executive self-help, daring Congress and the courts to catch up after the concrete is poured. The East Wing is already down. The question is who gets to decide what rises in its place.